Monday, September 5, 2016

Oceans Apart

Not actual oceans...though it feels that way.

Brad and I graduated. It was a wonderful 2 days and I couldn't be more happy to move forward and be done with school. Not long after graduation, Brad got a job offer with a company called Biotronic to be a surgical neurophysiologist. Long confusing name that means the surgical technician that makes sure the patient is ok throughout the neuro or spinal surgery. Brad was SUPER excited about the offer and eager to start.

What did this mean? Moving to Fresno (: Never thought I'd be excited to be coming back to my hometown. When you live here, you wanna leave, but when you leave for oh, I don't know, four years and see your family only a couple times a year...you wanna come back. That was me. When Brad got the job offer, I was ready to come home.

Now, Brad didn't get the news on the job until...I want to say the second week of May? It's September and I'm slacking, I know. So I had made a commitment to work at Jan Thomas Swim School for 4 weeks. So a week after graduation, Brad and I flew to San Fran to drive up to a family reunion and then spend a couple days in San Fran with my sister, Shanna, and her husband. After the trip, Brad flew back to Salt Lake, and I drove to Fresno to work. During those 4 weeks, Brad got the news of the job and we planned our move to California. We would drive June 10, move in on the 11th, and then he would fly out to Michigan for training and I would fly to Cancun on the 12th. Talk about a busy weekend.

Cancun. Ah, it was amazing. I wish I would've blogged sooner so I could remember all of the details more clearly, but here's what I got. We flew out late Sunday night and had a redeye, arriving at 9am the following morning. Day 1 consisted of relaxing at the resort, getting in the beautiful ocean, and going out to dinner at one of the restaurants at our resort. We took it aaaaaaall in.

Day 2 was snorkeling day. We drove to the ferry pickup, was taken out to a nice little island where we hopped into a boat and started our day adventure. Our guide took us to a nice spot first as we waited for the other passengers to arrive. We got to snorkel in the open water for a little. Katie lost the piece that links the snorkel to the goggles...that was kind of funny. Then we drove out to the snorkeling site where we swam a good distance to the area where the boat was waiting for us. The coolest part of snorkeling is when the guide through crackers around us and all the fish swarmed. It was like we were engulfed in the fish. Katie had a little freak out cuz she hates fish, but she did good! Next, we drove out to an island where they were prepping lunch for us. All was good and dandy until I took my flip flops off to get into the water and I stepped on a bee. The ONE bee in the entire ISLAND. Oh it hurt so bad. A local man came and helped me though, which was so sweet. He poured alcohol and rubbed ice on it. Katie thanked him by buying one of the starfish that he was selling. I only had 4 arms, which was perfect: represented the 4 of us on the trip. After lunch, we were taken back to the island where we got back on the ferry and returned to the mainland. We went out to dinner again that night at a place kind of like Red Robin and Buffalo Wild Wings combined. We had a blast and a crazy fun night.

Day 3 we drove out to the colorful Cancun sign; you know, cuz we're tourists and have to get a picture with it. We decided to walk back to the hotel...let me tell you. Looks are deceiving. It was WAY further than we thought. Good workout though! We decided to relax for a little after that escapade, so we spent some time in the ocean and the resort pool for most of the afternoon. That night, we went into the city and had a nice dinner at one of the popular restaurants in Cancun. Couldn't tell you the name of it to save my life. It was way good though! We spent the remainder of the night out on the town, checking out the sites and taking lots of pictures. When we returned to the hotel, there was an event outside at the resort and they had fireworks going off. It was a nice way to end our night.

Day 4 was our last day in Cancun. We slept in, got breakfast; started out slow. Then we went to the flee market and the mall. While we were out, Sherry got the most devastating phone call anyone could ever receive. Her mother had had a heart attack and passed away. We got back to the hotel, where Katie amazingly got us earlier flights home. Instead of arriving the next day at 3pm, we were home by 10pm that evening. It was a rough way to end the trip, but you know, we still had a great 3 days relaxing and enjoying each others company. I love Katlyn, her mom Sherry, and Katie so much. We grew closer because of this trip, and for that I am grateful.

A week after coming home, I started back at the swim school and went until the end of the summer. In total, I was there for 10 weeks; the most I've done since my first 2 summers! It was good though. I had some great kids and enjoyed myself.

During 4th of July week, I got to go see Brad since we get the whole week off at the swim school. He was in Findlay, Ohio, training in the OR. He had just finished 3 weeks in classroom training. On July 4th, we went to Columbus and I got to meet his coworkers. They were all very nice and we had a good time in the city. We went to the mall, Ohio State, and a cool viewing spot of the city. It was raining on and off which was odd...it's July. The rest of the week was me binge watching Criminal Minds and Bones; not complaining! I knew Brad would have work. It was nice when he got home and we got to go to dinner or get ice cream or just spend time together. The last day I was there, we went to a theme park called Cedar Point. It was cool! Michigan's version of Six flags. We spent all day there and went on a lot of coasters. One of my favorite parts of the trip was seeing fireflies...sounds stupid, but I'd never seen them before!


A few weeks before the swim school ended, I went in for 2 interviews with a company called Cohen Communications. They're a private marketing/PR firm. A week after finishing at Jan Thomas, I got a job offer, which I accepted! I've now been working there for a couple weeks and it's going well. There's a lot to learn and it's a little slow getting started, but I know that it will pick up and that I will get in the groove.

Brad has been gone for...11 weeks now. It's been a distance kind of summer for us. 4 weeks apart, 3 weeks together, then 11 (and counting) weeks apart. All y'all who post about your significant other being gone for a couple days...I have NO sympathy for you. At all. Sorry about it. It's been ok though. Tiffany and I have been able to hang out a lot and catch up on the 6 years we didn't get to hang out with each other. We've started running every other morning as well, prepping for a 5k. Should be interesting.
I've also been able to see a lot of my friends and run into people that I haven't seen in a long time! I've been able to put the apartment together as well. Brad is ready to come add his touch of technology to the place, of course :P This past weekend, I helped my dad take apart the engine he will be putting in his '69 Camaro. It's been of the road for 17 years...It's time it gets fixed. I'm making it happen now that I'm home and I can. My dad really does appreciate it though and we have a great time working on it together.

Well, that about sums it up. Crossing my fingers that Brad comes home this week! It's about time our lives get back to normal and we actually live together. Once he gets home, no more oceans.

No comments:

Post a Comment