Its been a while since I have posted in this blog BUT for
good reason. There aren’t many exciting things happening during school, so less
adventures.
Winter endings
The rest of winter semester went well, with the end throwing
us right into our summer plans. The day after finals, Brad left for Guatemala.
Last summer he got involved in a humanitarian group called Smiles for Central
America. This group goes to a country in Central America and does all the
physicals for LDS missionaries turning in their papers. It’s a 10-day long
trip, working from 8 a.m. to around 11 p.m. Once the 10 days are up though,
they get 2 days of vacation. Brad wanted to go on the trip again this year, and
with the help of his parents, he was able to go.
So Brad left. I was home for about a week on my own. I
finished up working at the Creamery. It was definitely my time to go…being
there 3 and losing all my good coworkers. It was time for a change. David, a
past coworker at the creamery, got me a job at Gloria’s Little Italy. It’s a
nice restaurant located in Provo on Center and University Ave. I started out as
a hostess and then got trained to be a server. I was only there a week before
leaving to go back home to California and work at Jan Thomas Swim School for a
4th summer. Gloria’s held my job while I was in California, so that
was really nice.
There’s no place like
home
Now you’re probably thinking, why did you go home to work?
Brad is only going to be gone for 10 days and its already been 7. Yes, well you
see, when you get married, you pretty much do what you can to stay afloat financially.
Brad and I are both hard workers and we do all we can to make sure that we are
stable. We decided that I should return to Jan Thomas this summer because I
make good money there. I wouldn’t stay the whole summer because that would
really suck being away from each other that long, but I would go for 5 weeks.
So! Off I went to California.
I loved my time there. Each summer that you work at the swim
school gets easier and more fun. It’s still a demanding job! Working from
9:30a-7p Mon-Thurs definitely wears you out, but it was worth it. I was able to
teach a couple of kids that I’ve had previous summers. I love watching them
grow up and see their swimming improve. I love asking the swimmers that I’ve
taught since day one, “So who taught you to swim?” and with a big smile they
say “YOU DID!” That’s right!
| The lovely visor tan |
| To think I was done with swimsuit tans... |
| So many tanning days |
| Our day of spontaneous fun |
| He's flyin! |
| Bon Fonte Gardens |
| We went running a couple times...bad idea when it's 92 outside. |
I also got to spend some time with Jared; not as much since he was still in school. He was finishing up his senior year…so weird. We were able to take a trip to Bon Fonte Gardens, an amusement park we used to go to as kids but he still loves. It was a fun time. He was also working on his mission papers…and by working on I mean he had me fill out everything because I’m faster on a computer. But hey! It got done. After he graduated, he wanted to come live with Brad and I and live with us until he left for his mission. I was real excited about it.
Sidenote:
While I was in California, Brad had talked to his boss who had a duplex that
needed a new tenant. The apartment was 2-bedroom and since Jared was coming to
live with us, it would be awesome if he had his own room instead of having to
live on the couch in our current small apartment. After like a WEEK of
convincing his boss that we’d be good renters (we also had to convince him of
letting us get a pet…more details will come later), he said yes and Brad moved
all of our stuff into the new place!
| This was our life for 6 weeks. |
| Beach trip! |
Back to the
Mothership with a stowaway
Either the next day or the day after, we left to go back to
Utah (still can’t get myself to call it home…). There was some unpacking to do,
which was totally fine with me. I dodged the moving process altogether! Jared got
all set in his room and we got to finding him a job. After about a week, he
landed a job at Dollar Tree and I got him a bussing job at Gloria’s where I was
working. Bussers only work on the weekends so it was really nice that he worked
at Dollar Tree as well.
As for his mission papers, Jared had gotten his papers sent
in right before we left. The call came in 1.5 weeks. Talk about fast. We had
put his availability date as August 5th, thinking that he wouldn’t get
called until a month or two after that because that tends to happen a lot.
Nope! Jared got his call to the Idaho Nampa mission and was to report to the
MTC on August 5th. Well there goes that plan. The two places he was
working at though understood his situation and weren’t mad that he would have
to quit sooner than he thought. Was he happy about his call? I think so. We had
mom, dad, Tiffany, grandma and grandpa on Skype, Shanna and Andrew drove in,
and Kris was on speaker on my phone. After he read his call he said, “Cool. Can
I go shower now?” Oh Jared. So nonchalant. He had 6 weeks till he was to report so he had
time to digest it all.
So the summer went on, all of us being busy workers. Luckily Brad and I had weekly double dates with an awesome couple, Baylee and Trevis. We had some definite fun times. In July,
I got an email from University Communications news manager asking if I would be
interested in an internship. I had applied for an internship there earlier for
spring/summer, but because I was going to be in California for spring term, I didn’t
get the job. Well, the current intern was leaving early because of a job offer.
I ended up getting the internship and its my current job. I wouldn’t have
gotten the job if my past professor who works in University Communications hadn’t
have suggested me, so thank you shout out to Todd!
Coming to an end
August rolled around and I was soon making trips to Draper
every morning. Jan Thomas’s daughter, Becky, ran a swim school out of her home
after returning from the main swim school in Clovis. She asked me to be one of
the teachers this summer, so from August 11 to September 9 I was driving to
Draper to teach Utah kids. It was different than Clovis; can’t really compare
them. But I had a good time. Yes, it was hard juggling 3 jobs, but I made it
work!
Jared left for his mission on August 5th. The
parents and Tiffany came into town for his farewell talk and then Tiff stayed a
couple extra days. That was nice having her here since I thought getting Tiffany
to Utah was impossible. The next Wednesday, Jared went into the MTC. It was
short and sweet, hugs, pictures, and then he was off. I’ve been getting emails
from him every week and he seems to be doing good! His stories are the best.
Hey new roomie
After Jared moved out, Brad’s cousin, Hayden, moved into
Jared’s room. Why did I let a bachelor move in with me and my husband? Yeah I get
that question a lot. Well, he’s really low-key and he helps with rent. It’s
been nice not being so tight with money. He also loves doing the dishes…you
better believe that makes me happy.
Fall Semester began on August 31st. I had to
juggle school and the swim school for only two weeks, which was nice. I ended
up putting in my 2 weeks at Gloria’s because there was no way I was going to
get through the semester if I had to work weekends on top of the 20 hours at
the internship during the week. I needed homework time. So now I’m just doing
school and work. I love coming home to Leia every day; totally worth getting a
dog. The first month of waking up every 2 hours at night sucked, but like I said,
worth it. Brad is doing well. He’s taking 4 classes and working at the heating
plant. His homework load is quite a bit lighter than mine, so he’s enjoying
having extra down time. I was able to see my two best friends not long after school started. Kiley is finally back from her mission so we had a reunion. So so nice. I've also been able to see all my freshman friends. Everyone is coming back from their missions; it's great!
I’ve also started back up on my hobby of crocheting. My mom
taught me when I was in 4th grade, I finished that blanket like my
junior year (wasn’t really a priority obviously), and then hadn’t touched any
projects since then. Now that I’m married and life is boring (kidding, but its
definitely less social) I decided I needed something to do. So! Baby blankets.
NO I’M NOT PREGNANT, they are just easier to make because they take less time. It’s
actually turning out to be a good thing because I have a handful of friends and
family having babies. Yay homemade gifts! If I’m ever watching TV, you best
believe I’m working on a blanket. It’s nice having something to do.
Sidenote: I colored my hair. Dark brown. LOVE IT.
Sidenote: I colored my hair. Dark brown. LOVE IT.
It’s the middle of the semester, so midterm season. The
semester is flying by which makes me so happy. Only one more semester after
this and I’ll be done with school FOREVER. Can’t really say the same for Brad
since he has dental school, but hey, he loves dental stuff so its good! I will
be starting my career. Weird. Financially that will be nice though. After we
graduate, the real adventures begin.

No comments:
Post a Comment